You’ll be comfortable using a range of technologies both front-end and back-end. You’ll be familiar with a number of programming languages and will be able to draw on a plethora of knowledge depending on the problem in front of you. Problems might range from using automation techniques to optimize an existing solution through to creating an entirely new way to assess pupils in the classroom.
In RM Studio we see ourselves as ‘Innovators’ first with our chosen specialism as a close second. Specialisms might include research, design, commercial or product. Your specialism will be Software Engineering. You will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team and so will be confident to represent the Software Engineering community of practice in all things tech. If you prefer to work alone then this probably isn’t the job for you!
- Developing software across a full stack from front-end web to back-end databases and storage
- Designing technical architecture across a range of applications including web, back-end, mobile and internal and external API’s
- Working alongside Designers and User Researchers in understanding the needs of users and the purpose of the solution
- Creating technical Proof Of Concept work
- Being involved in the end-to-end discovery, definition, design and delivery of innovation work
- Staying abreast of developments in technology including programming languages, techniques and design patterns
- Playing an active role in the Software Engineering community of practice
Minimum Qualification and Experience
- Strong technical knowledge including proficiency in
Server-side language such as Python, Ruby, Java, PHP and .NET
Database technology such as MS T-SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL and MongoDB
- Excellent verbal communication and the ability to talk about technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders and team members
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- A keen attention to detail
- A passion for learning new things, whether technology, skills or learning about a new domain
- Bringing empathy to everything you do – asking why not what
- You will have worked as part of a delivery team following an Agile framework such as Kanban or Scrum
- You will have worked on a project or product that had a clearly defined end-user and be able to explain what need the project or product addressed
- You can demonstrate where you have used technology to solve problems and explain why you chose the technology and the approach that you did
- You will have worked as part of a multi-disciplinary, insight-led team
- You have had experience in a start-up and have taken decisions around choice of technology or technical approach to problem solving
- You will have followed the principles of Lean Startup and methods such as the Double Diamond design model
- Logical, analytical approach to problem solving.
- Good communication skills, both written and spoken.
- Must be a team player, energetic with a positive attitude.
- Excellent planning, organising and time management skills.
- Demonstrates exacting attention to detail.
- Ownership for proposing and implementing solutions.
- Good analytical ability.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Detail orientation.